Wednesday, April 3, 2013

LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971)


I'd like you to do me a small favor.

There are times when you just need to watch a movie cold.  No blurb, no spoilers, no trailer, nothing.  And that's the problem with trying to get people to watch a movie: they need precedence in order to give up their 90 minutes.  But sometimes the experience only works without any foreknowledge.  Let's Scare Jessica to Death is one of these cases.

This movie is one of my favorite horror films ever, made in the early 70's to little recognition and slowly building in power ever since.  It's brilliant and strange, and works best if you know nothing about it beforehand.  Even seeing the poster is a bad idea (or the DVD cover).  The above image is my favorite still that entices without giving anything away.  I've seen the movie nearly 10 times and each time I watch it I find more to admire and soak up.  I can't guarantee you'll love it immediately, but let it sink in.

Look, I'll fully admit that I'm kind of ripping this post off from Bleeding Skull (with their brilliant post on the subject here, though you might want to put duct tape over the screencaps).  At the end of that post the review Dan Budnik said he intended the recommendation as a small gift, and that if he was goofier he'd buy everybody the DVD.  I'm not that goofy, but I do have something else to offer - the movie on YouTube:


~PNK (with special thanks to YouTuber Robert Buchanan)

No comments:

Post a Comment